Saturday, March 15, 2008

What Is So Great About Being Common?


I keep a running document of meaningful quotes. When I ran across it the other day a couple jumped out at me that I wanna share with you. One should have been included in my CD art but I slept maybe next time. Here is what it says:
“Recognizing that someone is more deserving of your respect than yourself, and having that knowledge makes you aware of your own commonness.” I'm not sure but I think that was from Coming to America.
In any event, why is it good to be common; because you recognize within yourself a need for something greater, a need for a savior. A need for Christ!
The second quote God gave me on a Sunday when I was sitting in Bible study at Church. It says:
“So often we walk in the realm of familiarity. We trust in everything that we can count on or figure out logically. Never do we see God in His true essence because we have no real desperation”
In our independent and interdependent less American culture we seldom know what true desperation is. If we don't know desperation how do we recognize our own need for salvation? We don't. We trust what we know and our experiences letting that guide and teach us. When we do this we bypass who God is and want to be in our lives.
Why am I sharing this? I’m not sure. All I know is if this is what it means to be common and desperate, then may I forever be extraordinarily common and desperate!

No comments: